View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #129
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Can I ask why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
There's a difference between ATG pressure fighters and simply excellent ones. Hatton, Cotto, are very good pressure fighters. But Duran, Chavez, Toney, etc. display it on a much more dynamic level. Floyd may not be at that utmost tier, but he doesn't have to be in this era. There aren't that many fighters in the last decade that I'd say could beat Floyd if you put the two in a 10X10 ring. There's a reason for that, and it's Floyd's skill-level up close.
Well, I don't want to turn this thread into a FMJ fantasy fight list or pissing contest, but I firmly believe that he did not test himself against the best after a certain point in his career, belt or no belt.

A list of fighters that he fought, in no particular order:
Gatti
Mitchell
Judah
Baldomir
ODLH - even though he was semi-retired
Ricky Hatton
JMM

A list of fighters he could have fought, in no particular order:
Margarito - I feel he would have beaten everyone above with maybe ODLH as the exception. I believe he would have given FMJ his stiffest challenge since Castillo.
Williams - Same as Margarito
Clottey - Although he was DQ'd against Baldo, I would favor him to lose only against ODLH
Cintron - Pre-Margarito, I could see him losing only to ODLH, Gatti (maybe), and Hatton (maybe).

My point being is that although he fought recognizable names, there were better fighters out there to truly say he was the best. And these guys weren't up-and-comers. I think Cintron and Williams being the NKOTB, but still were seen as the best contenders at that time.

Last edited by RingKing; 01-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.
RingKing is offline  Top