View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #63
thehawk

vCash: 79
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Thanks for the detailed response. Just a few more questions , do you think that 33 % is kind of high considering that you only take 10% ? I assume most managers take care of many fighters whereas a fighter only has his own fights to get paid in. Also as the fighter gets bigger paydays does this cut stay the same?

What do you think of the boxing business as a whole. Seems like a contractual free for all where the smartest and best legally equipped do the best. Do you think that a UFC style organisation is better or is boxing just too big worldwide for anything like that to be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Yes the fighter is in essence the managers employer. You are right about potential trouble, and it happens but usually it's the "B" side of a card, the "A" side or the housefighter knows the deal, the "B" side fighter is clueless he's just happy to be at the dance.
Housefighter gets 75k his opponent is offered 50k to the manager, the manager, is looking to cash in, he figures, my guy has no chance, I am gonna get mine, and so he tells the fighter they offered me 25, I fought like hell but they wouldn't give me a cent more. Does it happens yes it does, should it happen, no it shouldn't.
I believe in an open book, the fighter should know the good, the bad and the ugly cos afterall its their lives and health on the line, any decisions made affect him, so I believe he should be included in the process.
The standard % by law is 33 1/3. I make do with 10%.
The major promoters sign guys based on their amateur credentials, also depends on who brings the fighter to the promoter. Remember a major promoter has guys calling them day and night saying they have the next big thing. So they tend to shy away from newbie's
Yes you are right about blurred lines, a very well known promoter really doesn't like dealing with managers. Pac has an advisor who Arum sits with and makes the deal, you dont mess with your golden goose. A smart promoter doesn't look to screw his fighters he wants to keep his fighters as happy as possible especially one like Pac.

Last edited by thehawk; 01-02-2013 at 04:40 PM.
thehawk is offline  Top