Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #25
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whitaker's Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Giving Whitaker the benefit of the doubt at the time and keeping him at #1 was just fine, but honestly, by that point, he wasn't the best fighter in boxing anymore. In retrospect, that seems pretty clear.

I think a similar thing is happening right now, btw. Floyd, like Pea, retains the top spot because of all the quality work he's put into his career and he'll likely keep it on most lists until he loses or at least looks real bad in a fight, but I personally don't see him as being genuinely the best fighter in boxing anymore. Not that he's far off or anything, but as they are now, I think Ward's better, and maybe Donaire, too. Those two have certainly been doing more impressive work recently.

It's probably part of the reason why a lot of P4P kings seem to fall so very far so quickly. There's a tendency to rate them as #1 when they really aren't #1 anymore.
Totally agree Cob. Ward is definitely better than Floyd right now - probably has been for some years actually. Similarly I'd say Roy was unofficially the best in the sport since around 94.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top