Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #26
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648
Default Re: Bert Sugar's top 10 ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
The lists Ive seen from Sugar always listed Dempsey as No 1. Ali was so quick in his prime opponents could not capitalize on his mistakes. Those that are young and stupid mix up prime Ali with post 1970 Ali. Both great fighters but prime Ali was a very hard target to hit and was able to cut opponents to ribbons with his punches. Against Liston in fight one he ripped open his face, broke his nose and eye orbital bone all while finishing the fight completely unmarked.
This, I was really amazed when I first saw a prime Ali. Never seen anything like it, and that includes a Prime Lewis, Prime Holyfield, Klitschko etc. Only prime Tyson came came close to impressing me as much but he didn't have the longevity.

I honestly feel the Ali who beat Foreman is still a top 10 ATG. The way he deflected punches while remaining in the pocket is like a prime Floyd Mayweather, except he did it while standing square on. I thought he probably won every round quite easily. The only round Foreman had really been winning was maybe in the 4th or 5th (can't remember which) where Ali had literally thrown nothing for the first 2:30 of the round but tbh I really think Ali still won that round because the amount he hurt Foreman in the last 30 and the amount of clean punches he got of (at least 30-40) compared to Foreman who really only got through with 1 or 2 clean shots. That and the first are the only two close ones.
iceferg is offline  Top