View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #127
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: *Grzegorz Proksa*

Are you bothered by others' opinions?

Not at all. The most important thing to me is what I do. Those who know me know what kind of person I am. And others? It's different - a few hours ago in Węgierska Górka we had an opening of a new building and someone asked me what I do for a living. I said I'm a boxer. The person reacted stranegly, maybe because he thinks of boxing the same as of martial arts from american films.

Before Golovkin, your career was teemed with wins, your European title and suddenly a loss. Against Kerry Hope, who no one believed in. What does an athelete feel in such a moment?

I've been boxing for years, and I know how when I won a fight. After the last bell I thought I won. But I was fighting in England, with 4 English judges. After the scoring was announced, I felt pain inside.

You couldn't sleep for a long time?

I couldn't. I spent the nights awake. Right until my promoter announced the rematch.

Was it thinking, what I could of done better?

It was pain you couldn't describe in words. At least I can't. Maybe I'm not eloquent enough to describe it. I remember I took nightime walks around Węgierska Górka.

You suffered a bad cut in the fight, which gave you problems with your vision. If it wasn't for the cut, would you have won before the final bell?

Maybe even quicker than in the rematch. I had him worked out. That fighter never had anything over me.

What happens, when you can see through only one eye?

Instinct kicks in. And earlier fear, that the referee will stop the fight and you'll lose in a silly way. Because of some stupid cut or injury. I was afraid, I kept whiping my eye, I fought with different tactics.

I saw that during that fight you talked in the ring with Hope

Yes I did.

Remember what you said?

Not anymore.

And one more thing. After your knockout win in the rematch, you approach Hope and tell him…

He should be proud of himself. And that the title is coming back where it should be.

Where it was since your win over Sebastian Sylvestre. It was incredible - October 2011,nobody gave you any chances, you were confident, and then you come out, sorry - dancing out into the ring - and your opponent has no arguments over you. Total domination. And the boxing world hears about Grzegorz Proksa.

To me it was special, because Sylvestre is German.

You don't like Germans?

No (laugh).

That's interesting. You like history, so you probably know that Węgierska Górka…

Was another Westerplatte. It fended off Hitler's army for a long time. And after I beat Sylvestre, it was euphoria. To beat a German, a former champion, i his home town, in such style before the last bell. Someone then said, hey Rysiu Riedel sing, that only moments are beautiful in life? It was one of those moments. Maybe even the most beautiful.

Did you listen to this in the dressing room before the fight?

The whole CD of "Dżem". "Naiwne pytania", "Złoty paw" was played too. "Sen o Victorii" wasn't, because I changed it, it was too slow. Everyone in the dressing room was singing. In my dressing room before fights, there must always be happiness and laughter. Total relaxation, jokes, best not to think of the fight yet. Everything you could, you did during training. You won't think of anything new. You won't fool yourself.

You talk about "Dżem". Any other songs?

I listened to Pink Floyd, the CD "The Wall". The songs reminded me of my childhood, my dad. Every song I listen to reminds me of a different moment in life. Often to moments that happened years ago.

Shame that "Dżem" wasn't yet in the Polish dressing room. How is it that such a succesful boxer hasn't yet fought in Poland? There was Las Vegas, now mostly England.

It's about the finsanses. It's the biggest problem. You came to do this interview? From Wisła to Węgierska Górka. You didn't come here because you like me so much or that you want to do this interview. You came here, because it's your job. If you have to talk to someone tommorrow, and have a headache, then you don't. But if your boss says: "listen, go to him, it's great material for an interview", then you go. I have it the same way. I have a job, from which I'm later judged. Media, fans. I'd like to fight in Poland, but for a good price.

Maybe Proksa wants too much.

No, of course not. It's not some huge sum of moeny. I want to be treated right. I don't want to be pushed over. Do you understand now?

Yes.

It hurts like hell that I can't fight in Poland. My fans, who travel to watch my fights, have to pay for expensive plane tickets. Well, maybe not anymore, since it's cheaper to fly to London than to Gdańsk. But they have to travel, pay for a hotel, for this and that. And I'm most happy that they can witness happy moments. That they can get out of their everyday life. My fights are a sort of novelty for them.

Do you see this?

Yes. And it makes me happy.

Where would yoy be today, if it wasn't for boxing? Have you given this some thought?

I'd think of something.

Maybe we'd be reading about the Pole from Węgierska Górka, who's winning the Tour de France?

I don't think so. I love cycling, but it's an expensive sport. Too much for me.

Expensive and riddled with doping. Some say that after Armstrong it's not been the same.

Hard to say, because Armstrong was an inspiration for me. The 90's, it was him, but also Miguel Indurain, a Spaniard from the group Banesto. He was fantastic. Then there was Bjarne Riis, Eric Zabel, a great sprinter. Then Armstrong, and his book "Every Second Counts". Something incredible, beating barriers, fighting against people who are against you. And his cheating? It's sad. But do you watch the Tour de France?

Many years. Especially the mountain segments.

It's very demanding and eating only macaroni won't help you. You have to take some stuff into your body, because it's fearsome. I know this, because I once started in an amateur race and if I didn't get some cheese from a local man, I wouldn't have made itł.

Was it a long race?

Something like 160 kms. In the mountains.

Not bad. It would of taken me at least 6 hours.

You know how much it took me? Four something. Four twenty something. I saw experienced cyclists walking up the uphill lengths. And I kept on riding. I'm only sad that I didn't sign up to the race on time. I raced the rest, just without a number. I went on and finished the race in good time.

That's what you have? Consequently keep going?

Yes.

What's your goal in boxing for now?

Get back the European Campionship. Then another world title shot.

Your son will follow in your footsteps?

He plays football.

So there's perspective. In Poland you don't have to play well to earn a lot.

So he should scam the fans? I try to keep him away from boxing, but I see that he has a thing for it. He even has a fight under his belt.

A win?

He boxed when he was about six. Abroad, because in Poland he couldn't yet. In his age group there's no judging. It's always a draw, regardless of what happens in the ring. But he dropped his opponent in the second round. In my view he won (laugh).

I see you're raising your son through sports.

I'm a father, who tries to teach his child good values.

What's most important?

(a moment of silence). I think friendship. Honesty. Or maybe faith, yes, faith as first.

Faith in what?

In yourself and God.
damian38 is offline  Top