View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: As an ATG where is DLH ranked at LW/WW. And was he one of the best LW's ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan16 View Post
The big problem with rating Oscar historically is that his physical attributes and skills never perfectly aligned with one another.

While he was a huge LW with immense physical dimensions for that weight to go with his frightening power, from a technical standpoint, he wasn't superb down there. He'd blast most elite LWs out of there, but at best he's fringe top 10, more likely top 15 all time at the weight.

He was still a physical monster at 140, and his skills had improved significantly at that weight as well. He's a top 10 all-time LWW in my opinion, upper scale as well.

He was even more skilled at 147, but his physical advantages weren't nearly as pronounced there. Hence, his WW rating is similar to his LW rating, probably a little higher.

At Super Welterweight, under Floyd Sr. from 2001 to 2003, Oscar was in my opinion at his best from a technical standpoint, and had the most versatility in his attack to go with much-improved counterpunching and parrying/head movement, at the expense of more of the punching power/physical advantages he had held earlier in his career. However, given 154 has been a historically young and thin division so far, Oscar gets a high rating there as well, from a H2H standpoint.

Basically, the problem is that as he got more skilled, he moved up in weight, which reduced some of his physical advantages and prevented a truly long, dominant run from taking place at any single weight class. The Oscar that had the best blend of physical advantage and skills was the 140 version though, in my opinion at least.
He was pretty impressive at 140...no doubt, but he did have unbelievable power at LW
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top