View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #25
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: No fighter could do what Foreman did in his career.

Foreman's second career was heavily choreographed, and Foreman himself received many breaks and opportunities simply based of his popularity. Remove the Moorer KO and Foreman's comeback was only so-so in a strictly fistic sense. It was a massive success financially (which is all that really matters at the end of the day), but in terms of achievement not so much.
Getting battered by Holyfield (in a title fight that Foreman didn't earn) was nothing special.
And yes, I agree that Foreman's KO of Moorer was spectacular and a tremendous achievement, but I'm still part of the camp who believes Foreman landed a one-in-a -million shot on a fairly fragile heavyweight not known for the integrity of his chin. Prior to that right howitzer of Foreman's, Moorer was outboxing George cleanly and making George look like a journeyman fighter. And just like with the Holyfield fight, Foreman was given a title shot based more on popularity than anything else. The win would have carried more merit if George had knocked over a top contender to earn the Moorer shot.
Overall, George was a beast; he was a monster in his prime, and even as an older man, he showed tons of heart, grit, and determination; but I think he gets too much credit for his comeback.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top