View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #22
mrhayemaker

vCash: 500
Default Re: Andre Dirrell is Vastly Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
I agree on those things.

I do think the main problem for Dirrell is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-handicapping

This has been shown in tennis. Where some players will prefer to lose in an earlier round if they are bound to meet someone they know will beat them in a later round. They much prefer "you are really a better player and will win next time for sure..." after losing intentionally... than "oh, you just weren't good enough" after meeting the person they fear.

He thinks he will lose to Ward, and that would seriuously hurt his self-image. So he would rather find a way to avoid that - even if it entails losing to another fighter or going to ask Dr. Shaw for a get-away paper.

He needs therapy to get over his Ward issues.. Until he does that he will not want to fight almost because each fight he wins will rank him higher and push him towards having to face Ward. So either he wont fight, or he will fight lowly ranked opponents in an effort to not get ranked so highly. If he starts to get highly ranked... I expect him to either lose a fight or get injured.

He needs therapy.
Interesting post & theory, seems like a viable reason as he certainly comes across with a mentally weak persona.

I personally think Andre Dirrell has great boxing ability as well as athleticism. Personally hate the guy but can't deny the fact that he was/is extremely talented and had/has? an excellent future. Similar to Khan he has ok power, however combined with speed it becomes somewhat magnified i.e. Arthur knockdown. Froch was caught surprised, therefore stunned, otherwise I can assure you Froch has been hit with far bigger bombs.

I also believe he could have beat/ scraped a win against Andre Ward, with the right fight plan. Had the fake Arthur knockout debacle not taken place he would have grown hugely in confidence, knowing he beat beasts in Froch & Arthur, who were considered Super 6 favourites based on there experience in comparison to the rest.

He would avoid engaging with Andre Ward, knowing Andre is technically superior. I can see Dirrell simply carrying over previous tactics and fight in short bursts in- out and circle all night, but being a bit more effective/ efficient having learnt from previous bouts. Although Ward would prepare for a running Dirrell, it's still a somewhat unknown territory for him, as he has only faced opponents with poor lateral movement, simply trying to walk him down/ bully him and of course with lesser skills (and this is coming from a Froch fan).

BUT... what a waste.. self handicapping.. probably..
mrhayemaker is offline  Top