Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #123
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Vlad Klitschko vs the following

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Wlad did what a fighter was supposed to do and win, however it does little for his credibility and legacy the fact that despite being much bigger, stronger, taller, heavier, more exp. fighter compared to Haye and despite Haye's trash talking, and Wlad promising for a knockout he basically won by default, simply by using his jab and the occasional right hand to keep the much smaller man at bay. This against an ex cruiser who was nearly KO'd by an ex Middle and KO'd by someone not even regarded as a puncher.
I don't see how a near whitewash against a top contender whom a large segment of the boxing public is giving a good chance to knock out does little for his credibility or legacy. Of course a stoppage would have been better, as a definitive statement of superiority, but I doubt it would have significantly altered people's perception of Wlad as a cautious safety first fighter. Wlad's fought for long enough now that most people have their opinions of him set down in stone. All he can, and should, really do from this point on is continue to win.

Using the term "ex-cruiser" in a derogatory fashion when comparing Wlad's opponents against those of past fighters is very unfair, considering the fact that most cruisers nowadays would be normal sized heavies prior to about 1980 and huge men prior to about 1950. It's a legitimate argument only if you're comparing Wlad to 90s era fighters like Lewis, who mostly fought large men themselves at the top end of the game. But using it to demean him whilst praising the middleweights and former middleweights that make up a large proportion of someone like Louis's resume is a bit of a double standard, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Seeing such a timid and cagey performance against an opponent like Haye gives me little hope and reassurance that Wlad could hang in there with guys like Holmes, Bowe and Ali. Guys who had serious heart and grit who were willing to put themselves on the line in order to win. If Wlad fought like that against Haye how would he react to bulldozers like Tyson and Foreman or even a guy like Morrison?
I don't really see the logic here. Wlad totally controlled Haye and was only caught maybe three times in total throughout the whole fight, all of which punches he took fine. Bowe was controlled by Golota's jab twice, and you can call him past prime or overtrained or undertrained or whatever, but Golota was still the best big man Bowe ever fought and he failed the test both times. You can point to the Evander fight all you want, but that was one great performance against an ex-cruiser himself and not really relevant to a Wlad matchup IMO. And history has shown that's it's more likely the slob Bowe that turns up to this fight, if we're going to be a bit more realistic about these things.

Ali lacked the punching power to put Wlad into a shell, and enjoyed being the outside boxer himself. Likewise Holmes, though Holmes was a meaner SOB and had a mite more punching power to potentially close the show. Of course I'm not saying they couldn't win; Ali especially had some crazy intangibles to his game and incredible willpower that drove him to feats above and beyond normal men, so I'd never count him out. But I wouldn't count Wlad out either, considering his concentration level and his consistent ability to win rounds. Lennox and Tyson are the two fighters whom I feel confident get to Wlad and stop him, maybe Liston and Foreman as well, though there's a significant handspeed difference to take into account there.

Morrison gets blitzed. There's no way he makes the final bell.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Sponsored Links