Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #56
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
With all due respect, that is asinine. Yoga will not make you slick!! Never in life will yoga, or any other conditioning exercise (and you can name it) make you a boxer, much less a good boxer. Far less the chance of it making you "slick,"
Physical conditioning does not make you a good boxer; it certainly contributes to your ability to be such. But, in and of itself, it is irrelevant.
dealtwith...I don't know you at all, but I'll venture a guess that you've spent no time actually boxing. The foundation of boxing is knowledge gained in the ring.
If you are going to argue otherwise, that running around a track or doing exercise will compensate, you are misguided. There is no substitute.
When have I ever claimed that some other exercise will compensate? The things I've talked about are supplementary, they add to and support your skill training. I would never claim that things like yoga, weights etc. are a substitute, I'd love to know how you're getting that. It's not either or, you need a bit of everything. Anything that helps you become more aware of your body and improves proprioception is going to help your boxing, you don't have one body for boxing and one body for everything else. Strength training accelerates motor learning as I mentioned before. You need to open your mind up a bit, you're not going to be the best boxer you can be if all you do is boxing.
dealt_with is offline  Top