Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #57
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
When have I ever claimed that some other exercise will compensate? The things I've talked about are supplementary, they add to and support your skill training. I would never claim that things like yoga, weights etc. are a substitute, I'd love to know how you're getting that. It's not either or, you need a bit of everything. Anything that helps you become more aware of your body and improves proprioception is going to help your boxing, you don't have one body for boxing and one body for everything else. Strength training accelerates motor learning as I mentioned before. You need to open your mind up a bit, you're not going to be the best boxer you can be if all you do is boxing.
Again, i mean no disrespect...All these other exercises and drills will, I suppose, aid and abet your ability to box....Let me ask this...
If you went to eddie Futch and said "Eddie, teach me to be slick." And then he showed you yoga stretches, you'd be mad as ****. The skills needed to be "slick" are 1000% independent of any skill that can be learned by jogging, break dancing or yoga.
The question was, originally, how to be slick. The one and only answer to that question is to get into the ring and learn how to fight.You all have gotten onto a tangent that, to me, summarizes all that is wrong with boxing today.
CHECK THIS OUT. You will never be a great fighter until you learn how to fight. That requires a teacher that knows about fighting and can teach you how to learn. No matter how far you run or how much yoga you do or which muscles in your ass you stretch, it won't make you know how to fight. The term slick connotates a cat that knows how to fight. That is knowledge based.
You guys that think that you can deduce boxing to a physical exercise are way the **** off.
greynotsoold is offline  Top