Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #59
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post

Skills are never independent of each other, whatever you do has an effect on your coordination, balance etc.
Of course you need to learn how to fight to be a great fighter but to say that something else that improves your coordination, balance, motor learning ability etc. isn't going to improve your boxing game is quite simply moronic.
Everything has a transfer effect of some sort, something that makes you more aware of your position in space such as yoga is going to help your boxing. It would be impossible for it not to, if your brain has a better map of your body it is going to help you when you're boxing. That's a fact whether you like it or not. A slick fighter is coordinated, can move out of a good position and back into a good position with ease, has finesse and is efficient with their movement. Things that require balance and awareness of the body.
Boxing is both knowledge based and a physical exercise, you only have one brain and it's responsible for everything physical, everything you do to your body sends messages back to your brain and in return the brain adjusts. You improve the connection between your proprioceptors and your brain and more efficient movement is produced.
Everything physical you do is improving your knowledge of movement subconsciously in the cerebellum. The more points of reference you have throughout your body the more coordinated you're going to be, you have a more detailed map so you can make smaller, more precise adjustments. And that will help you become a 'slicker' boxer.
But you are not understanding the question originally posed, and please don't refer to me as moronic. The question was "I want to be a slickster." Would you, in any way shape or form, judge the answer to that question to be...do yoga, duck under a slip line, or work your glutes?
So many, far too many, teach boxing as an exercise you can get good at by doing something else and that simply is not true. I don't give a screaming **** how far you can run or how high you can jump...has nothing at all to do with your boxing ability. If you ALREADY know how to fight, it may well enhance that ability. In and of itself it will not make you a good fighter. Learn how to fight. That creates the muscle memory that allows you to slip, counter, turn a guy, all the things that make you slick. Nothing else has **** all to do with it because it is based on boxing specific knowledge and you acquire boxing specific knowledge only by boxing.
greynotsoold is offline  Top