Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #62
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Are you saying that static stretching after a workout doesn't help reduce lactic acid or anything like that which I got told at school?? Are there no physical benefits to stretching after a work out (other than the benefits you would get from static stretching when independent of a workout).

On a seperate note what are your qualifications/experience in the sports science field. Not to be confrontational just curious you come across as very knowledgeable.
After a workout static stretching won't do anything for lactic acid, keeping your limbs held in one position (especially isometrically) is going to impair the process of flushing away metabolic byproducts if anything. Light movement, a cool down is the best thing in that regard, along with things like contrast therapy and compression garments. The only benefit from static stretching after a workout that you might not get from an independent session is that since you're already warmed up you'll be more compliant and you may be able to increase your flexibility further than you could otherwise, the plastic changes may be longer lasting. I have an MSc in a related field and professional experience with sporting teams/elite athletes.
dealt_with is offline  Top