View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How To Train Yourself To Box (In a way)

I would say you need a trainer if you want to be pretty good at an amateur level for boxing. learning the basics from a trainer just to build some momentum is good and just to make sure you know how to throw the most basic version of hooks uppercuts jabs and crosses with each hand, keep your hands up while doing so, and being able to move your head in between punches in combinations. learning to punch forwards, backwards and while moving laterally would be good to learn with a trainer also. Going with any approach to learning boxing needs consistent sparring with challenging opponents who would be consistently sparring with the learning fighter. This is the most important thing. I would say it is also very important to spar with people you have never been in the ring with before frequently as well to avoid being stuck in the same old routine. Once the fundamental skills of being able to punch in many different ways and the associated consistency with the trainer which allows both the fighter to learn from and adjust to the trainer and vice versa, that would be the optimal situation for a growing fighter.

A lot of times though the trainer reaches his or her limit and cant really teach the fighter anything else so they basically end up stuck in the same old routine with no additional advancement. This happened to me. What allowed me to continue to advance after that (with absolutely no help from a trainer), was consistent sparring, watching professional boxers who's styles i would want to imitate or take one particular thing from, watch certain movements and weird angles those fighters would throw punches from in particular situations that arose during their fights, and try and copy those movements during shadow boxing.

People always try and say pretend like your actually fighting when your shadow boxing. I never fully agreed with this statement. I always found the best results in observing particular situations that frequently come up in sparring due to the way that I fight, finding other, better fighters than me who have been in similar situations, watch how they handle those situations, painstakingly imitating them in shadow boxing, then applying the movements that have become comfortable to me through shadow boxing in sparring. Because of this approach that i take, I have been able to consistently improve for 3 years now with absolutely no help from a trainer. The most important thing for the improvement of any fighter is sparring. Everything else has obvious importance as well and I am not by any means saying that that is all you should do. However, if for some reason you were only allowed to do one thing for training, it would have to be sparring. No matter what kind of training you do, after you have a solid enough foundation built off of the fundamentals, sparring sparring and more sparring is what is so important.
jordaw is offline  Top