Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #51
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Stamina

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Dealt with not sure if your on the wind up but marcel cerdan was a beautiful boxer as was Burley and Patterson. I do think its ridiculous when people talk about bob fitz etc when there is nothing to watch of them 'master feinter' lol...

The advancements in sports science mean athletes should be stronger but it's immeasurable really. In terms of boxing skill alone though the old guys are more advanced generally then boxers today.
Yeah Burley, Patterson are great boxers. I haven't seen enough of Cerdan to make a judgement really. I just think it's stupid to compare heavyweights of the past to guys of today, old school heavyweights are really light heavys and cruisers so of course they are going to be more skilled, generally speaking. I also think the most skilled boxers today are more skilled than the top guys of the past from the video I've seen. Really I think it's an exercise in futility trying to measure fighters from different eras against each other. Apart from when you see fighters from the 20's-40's, those guys are noticeably inferior in every aspect of boxing and athleticism.
dealt_with is offline  Top