View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #2859
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Virgil Hill KO4 Leslie Stewart.

Quicksilver was already considered to be much more of a boxer than a puncher at this point and Stewart had borne up pretty well in splitting two fights with the hard punching Marvin Johnson. It stood to reason that Virgil would circle and jab, and that Stewart would try to track him down; and everything went according to plan over the first three. Hill jabbed and jabbed some more and took the first and third as a result. I thought Stewart did enough work in the second to shade it in my card, but even then, he didn't look particularly comfortable in there and appeared awfully frustrated by the start of the fourth.

Still, I remember it came as a massive shock when Hill drew Stewart into a check hook from the ninth layer of Hell, producing one of my very favorite delayed reaction knockdowns of all time. And Hill certainly closed the show in style,(he was a pretty good finisher when he had someone hurt) landing another hook that had Stewart flopping onto the canvas for a second and final time.

One of the better finishes of the 80's, imo.
Drew101 is offline  Top