Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #25
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: The cage-fighting boom - all that's missing is the cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Eh, a ring isn't the worst thing ever, but it's objectively inferior for MMA.

A cage is simply an enclosed area. That's it - that's all it is.

A ring is designed for a different sport entirely. It's well suited for boxing, it's crap for a combat sport involving takedowns and ground fighting. Having spectators ****ing with the ropes and touching the fighters during the action to make sure they don't fall out of the ring is plain ridiculous - I don't see how anyone could even argue that.

I can argue with that! I'm your huckleberry brother!

It's really just personal preference for me. When I go to watch a fight, I want to watch guys fight, rather than just control, or just smother.

Think Rashad Evans when he's up against someone he's clearly afraid of. He wall n stalls, he's an incredible wrestler but he employs strategies that..

A) prevent him from fighting, and eat the clock
B) are all about control and never about the finish, not fighting (imo) unless you are trying to do something that leads to finishing the fight.

Guys like Rashad (when he's scared) or Jake Shields, I don't want to give these guys the advantage of the cage because they are the type of fighters that look to not fight, by utilizing control without going for the finish. They are content using control by itself to get the W. The ring, makes it a little, to a lot more difficult to employ that sort of style.

But, if it's two guys that earnestly want to take one anothers head off, or walk away with the other guys arm or leg, then put them in the cage..

I guess I'm trying to say, if it's a real fight and guys are fighting, then the cage is good.. If it's a couple wrestlers or puffy punch girls (Jake Shields) put those turds in the ring and make them fight.
Koa is offline  Top