Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #27
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: The cage-fighting boom - all that's missing is the cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
If a fight's going to be boring and one or both guys are going to fight negatively, it's going to be boring regardless of whether it's in a cage or a ring. You act like there's no such thing as lay and pray or a boring fight in a ring.

But the fact remains - the cage is designed for mixed martial arts. The ring is designed for boxing. A different sport entirely.

For your complaints about individual fighters - don't you get annoyed when the ref jumps in and breaks up the action to waste a bunch of time walking the fighters to the centre of the ring, for no other reason than the ropes got in the way? What about when a hurt fighter gets the opportunity to recover purely because the environment he's fighting in was designed for an entirely different sport?

No doubt, if it were up to me I'd adjust what the ring is according to styles. I don't think that having a ring would stop wall n stalls or lnp. But it would take away from tools a guy can dip into. Think John Jones vs. Evans.. Would Evans have been able to push Jones against the cage and waste time in a ring? I think Jones would have knocked Evans out if they fought in the ring.. It's just speculation, but really think about it.

I would have hated watching the refs reset, and pull Evans off the ropes... But, I would have been delighted to watch the two of them fight, for more than 2-3 minutes of a 25 minute fight.
Koa is offline  Top