Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #101
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Vitali Klitschko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
And disappointing pro careers (though Gonzalez was undefeated at the time). Not a very strong body of evidence to go on.
Its more convincing than the reverse. What happened when Vitali faced a skilled, big guy prepared to go to war with him? He lasted 6 rounds & was completely ****ed by the end.

Bowe in 1992 is a far superior fighter to Lewis in 2003, he is also far more effective at the style & adept in the tactics which Lennox employed to beat Vitali.

Quote:
It comes from watching him fight. Almost every time an opponent came forward Bowe stood his ground and banged it out with him on the inside. This was not a product of laziness, it was how he responded to aggressive fighters throughout his career. Watch the first Evander fight, universally acknowledged as his best performance, to see him doing this.
Early doors Evander was getting bashed up on the outside by Bowe's jab, he tried to press the action inside but got beaten up even worse.

Bowe loved coming forward & letting his hands go, anyone prepared to stand up to him got a beating. He could jab from distance, throw powerful overhands & hooks when in range & rip uppercuts & bodyshots in close.

Quote:
As for engaging on his own terms, Bowe was capable when focussed, but too often just resorted to plodding forward behind a lazy or non-existent jab, trusting to his greater size and resilience to walk through his opponents' shots and get in with his own. His mid-range offence was decent but not exceptional, and his lack of defensive prowess meant he could be outboxed from here. It was on the inside that Bowe was most effective.
Agree with some of that, but not the last sentence. Virtually none of Bowe's KOs came from the inside, he was always more effective with a little more room to get leverage on his shots.

Quote:
I didn't exactly say that now did I? My point was that while Bowe was capable of throwing a very good crisp jab he didn't use it consistently enough for it to play a major factor in most of his fights, nor did he use it in the way a big man should to maximise his advantages of height and reach. Compared to Lennox, Wlad or even Vitali, his jab was not a dominant part of his arsenal.
In the majority of Bowe's fights his opponents were unwilling to engage & tried to use lateral movement to stay away from the big guy. He relied on his jab a lot in all of those fights.

I dont know why there seems to be this idea on ESB that the only way for a big HW to fight is like Wlad or an older Lewis (both trained by Steward) If a big guy can fight effectively on the inside why should he be uber-cautious & rely so heavily on a jab & grab strategy.

Quote:
Yes it was snappy, but a jab's worth is measured by how you use it over the course of the fight not in simple mechanics. Lennox's jab was unquestionably the more versatile and better used weapon than Bowe's occasionally snappy, occasionally lazy and often inconsistent one.
Lewis relied on his jab a lot more but I wouldnt qualify it as being superior.

Quote:
Fine. You want to use the Biggs or Gonzalez fight for that?
The Biggs fight was only 2 years into his career & isnt the ideal showcase for Bowe at his best. Gonzalez was Bowe's last serious training camp (he really hated him from the amateur days, JLG had beaten Bowe & Lewis btw) & his last great performance.

I'd take the Bowe from 92/93 over any version of Vitali. Too skilled, too powerful & too intense.

The ony time Vitali's been in deep water he drowned after 6 rounds & Bowe would drag him to places he's never been before. I'll take the battle-proven Bowe over Vitali every day of the week.
DrMo is offline  Top