View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #17
ecto55
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: a little sun-drenched vinyard 3 hours north by nor-west of Sydney, NSW, Australia...
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Quade Cooper V Barry Dunett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwgcolman View Post
I understand what Crusher is saying and I agree with him on that point that Cooper and the other footballers who cross over will not directly put anything back into boxing, however they do bring media attention to the sport and according to the Bureau of Statistics, boxing is the fastest growing sport in the country.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing-...-1226540663556

Participation is up 131% since 2005 and I wonder if the attention that they bring is responsible for some of these kids crossing over as well and boxing.

I've been to many amateur tournaments over the last few years and I honestly can say it's the healthiest I've seen in a long time. The Golden Gloves in Brisbane this year had over 400 boxers and 300 bouts in 3 days.

So while I personally couldn't give a **** about Quade Cooper and his circus, if the attention he generates gets kids boxing then it's good for the sport.
That's excellant news. But its a clear cut case of the Anthony Mundine factor for mine. I think many of us forget how dead Aussie boxing was in the wider public's mind in the 90's.
ecto55 is offline  Top