Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #949
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward morbius View Post
I was terrifically impressed by the visual values of the widescreen version I watched last night.

The plot was pretty tepid in my judgement--Duke searching for the guys who murdered his friend. Cliched plot 1-A.

And the romantic subplot just sort of dragged. The girl being so mad at him because he mistook her for his sister and accidentally gave her a pecking kiss seemed a bit overdone. She hated him almost across the continent before suddenly discovering she couldn't live without him.

And don't bring up the comic relief.

but this is well worth watching for the spectacular visuals in the big scenes.

**But as for the Duke's height. I stand by my memory. He just did not seem ten inches taller than his 5' 6" costar Margarite Chuchill who came up to the bridge of his nose, and seemed very much in the same height range as the 6' 1" Tyrone Power, Sr or the 6' 2" Ian Keith. He did not "tower" over them.

***I have read that his publicity for THE BIG TRAIL listed his height as 6' 2". He might have lost some height by the time he co-starred with Mitchum a generation later.

I don't know, but I will keep an open mind on this.
It's a beautiful movie to watch. I think that's the most impressive thing about it. Walsh went on to direct many excellent films including Rebel Without a Cause, High Sierra and White Heat. I have spent a lot of time in the area which it was filmed so I am kind of biased.

Not the most complex of plots but there is a ferocity to the vengeance and a naivete in the romance that I like.

Oh well, googled John Wayne's height and a lot of anecdotal evidence that he was in the 6-3 to 6-4 range.

Wlad KO8 Marciano.
Seamus is offline  Top