Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #80
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 162
Default Re: If Floyd retires this year after beating Guerrero and Canelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander Tasco View Post
Guerrero and Alvarez are nobodies. In 20 years nobody will know / care who they are.

Floyd has a pretty good resume on paper, but when you look at the context and who he actually beat and when it doesn't add up.

Corrales, Castillo, Hernandez, Oscar and Hatton were all solid to good wins, bottom line.

The rest are a bunch of nobodies, paper champs, or shot / over the hill fighters.

Floyd is an ATG due to his multiple titles / weight divisions, and (for now) undefeated record but it lacks substance, and that's what will ultimately be remembered.
Well, I've said several times that I think Floyd is a top 25 ATG if he retired now and that these forums will look like a joke 30-50 years from now when historians and fans read through them and see that somehow, fans of nowadays think that no fighter of the past 15 years is among the 40 best who've ever laced them up. I've also said that it's unfair to rank active fighters among those retired from the past. But if I would, I couldn't name 25 fighters better, sorry. And it's not from a lack of knowledge and appreciation from fighters past, quite the opposite. I've always favored fighters from decades long ago. But I also think that most people favor them too much.

---

Corrales, Castillo, Genaro, Oscar, Hatton, Mosley, JMM, Cotto are not just "solid to good wins, bottom line." They are great wins. Unless you feel that most of the guys currently in the HOF only have solid to good wins and no or only a couple great wins. See, you raise your standards and are a hypocrite because it's Mayweather and you hate him and/or his fans.

All of the above guys are going to be in the HOF, as well as Gatti being in the HOF (even if he doesn't deserve it), and Zab Judah honestly having a decent shot at it (nowhere close in my opinion, but it is what it is).

Answer me this... If Corrales, Castillo, Genaro, Oscar, and Hatton are the only wins on Mayweathers' ledger which are "solid to good wins, bottom line," then tell me which wins also meet those standards in the careers of contemporary HOF'ers Miguel Cotto, Wladimir Klitschko, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Shane Mosley, and Manny Pacquiao. Seriously. Do tell...
Nonito Smoak is online now  Top