Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Keeping Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by daly5050 View Post
I am quite tall with a good jab, I generally have no problem keeping guys off me with my jab. However I do run into problems when a guy decides to time his "rush" and come in with a flurry of punches, I can usually counter with a right hand but end up eating more punches then I land.

I'm not quite sure the best way to deal with this situation, Watching Wladimir Klitschko who I think uses his jab quite well and keeps his range it seems that he generally goes backwards and then off to one side and forces them to reset or uses a sort of left hook push to knock them off balance or ties them up.

I'm not quite sure of the best way to deal with this situation so any advice or examples of fighters that are able to keep their range would be appreciated.
No matter what you do, there are going to be times when a guy gets on top of you. There are things you can do to minimize the punches that you take, and things you can do to get away.
The first thing is to step away at angles- step around, really, more than 'away.' This gets you out of his range- you surround his arms rather than stepping out of reach. This gives you punching angles while he has to turn to get at you. If you step back, he steps in and hits you when you eventually hit the ropes or a corner.
The right hand is an ok counter, but it leaves you in a spot to be countered. You "fall in' with a right hand, if that makes sense. Look for the left hook, a nice tight punch and you end up behind your left shoulder. The right uppercut, thrown properly, is a good shot as well. Get behind your left shoulder and bring it up.
Learn how to act inside. Get your body turned a whole bunch, get your left shoulder into his chest. He can't land a right on you from there, and you can get a grip on his left elbow with your right glove and then turn him to get out.
greynotsoold is online now  Top