Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Fuming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
I trained a lad from when he was 11 - he was really good, loved boxing- and whilst he wasn't the most talented kid I've ever had he put the graft in and I was certain he'd have a good few fights.

At the time I was unattached to an amateur gym so I made provision for him to an amateur gym I sometimes trained at myself. When he first went the trainer dismissed him even though I knew he had talent anyway they let him fight and he strung together an amateur record of 11-3 which is a good start by any standards. Further to this he was improving despite only working with me once a week.

His amateur trainer then decided to stop allowing him to train with me because he suggested the style I was trying to get him to box him was too professional. Apparently slipping and rolling and countering falls into too professional. Anyway to save aggro I stopped training him and subsequently he had lost four in a row.

His problem was his defence and when his dad asked his trainer about it he said I can't help him - he doesn't listen. So he's come back to me.

He listens fine- too much it seems.

He came back to train with me tonight after 7-8 months away- I'm so disappointed - he's totally lost his spark and imagination. He's boxing like a clone of some of the older lads at the gym who enjoy moderate success but certainly not to the standard I'd hoped for him when I started training him as an 11 year old.

I also see a dip in his enthusiasm and he's terrified to try anything new in case he does something the coach doesn't approve of...

What do you guys think?

Greys? Scrap? Or any of the other coaches on here had similar problems. Feel like im going to struggle to get him back to where he was... Or where he should be.
It sounds as though they have made a good decision coming back to you - Clearly, you want the best for this young lad.

It's probably just a case of making things fun and supporting him during the first few weeks till he settles in the gym. Plenty of praise and encouragement and hopefully you can get him back on track.

Good luck.
RichC is offline  Top