burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Dempsey's punching power

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Pretty much, yeah.

It was his identity. For how crude he was, it didn't matter: He packed animal aggression and quickness with the ability to utterly separate you from your senses. You pretty much had to pull of a Gene Tunney to beat him, and I say good luck, cause I wouldn't want to chance it.
MN,I agree with you that Dempsey had "animal Aggression " similar to a later smaller Roberto Duran..Jack Sharkey always contended that "wherever dempsey hit you it hurt ". He was as Nat Fleischer described Dempsey,
"amazingly strong". He had a trademark gesture when he kod a man, Dempsey would help his victim to his feet by picking up the guy by putting his hands under the guys arms and hauling him up off the floor...
I really don't think Dempsey was crude as he bobbed and weaved his way into an opponent with his chin tucked in his shoulders,making Dempsey a difficult target to reach his chin as Gene Tunney claimed in his 2 bouts with the old fading Dempsey. In the Firpo fight Dempsey didn't bob his way in and rushed Firpo, lost his balance and was nailed with a clublike right
swing on Dempsey's noggin and dazing Jack...Today Dempsey is not given the credit by some posters that he deserved...P4P there was no more
violent and destructive hitter...
burt bienstock is online now  Top