Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #57
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey's vaunted run to the Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Credible? Ali and Dempseys reigns were both credible?? Ali's initially winning the title is shrouded in confusion and doubt for me - not really convinced about anything about the Liston fights I'm afraid so if anything I'd say for definate that Dempseys win was without any doubt 100 times more emphatic
Except he should have been disqualified after the first round. Beating an active all time great in Liston is leagues above beating an old cowpoke who had fought once in 4 years. Still, I don't begrudge Dempsey the victory. He fought who he had to fight.

Quote:
then I would say that in his prime years Dempsey never embarrassed the title by fighting anyone who was as big a joke as Brian London!!
Apparently you didn't read the list of no-hopers and has-beens that started this thread. I suggest you scroll back and refer to the initial post. Brian London would have been a beacon of excellence in that line-up.

Quote:
And Ali never met a pure boxer as good as Tommy Gibbons in his entire career that is for sure - and Dempsey decisioned him. Ali in his prime days should've fought Eddie Machen - I don't penalise him to the extent of lowering my ranking of him because my ranking of him is based on how good I think he is head to head and him having missed Machen is just circumstance
When should he have fought Machen? Somewhere between Machen's losses to Terrell and Mildenberger? Or after his loss to world beater Ramos? That's not a stretch, that's just desperation.

Quote:
- then when he came back he LOST to Frazier
Shame on him for fighting the best and most dangerous challenger available. Just like Jack Dem... oh, no. That's right.

Quote:
Dempsey just exploded on the scene brutalised the reignin champ to take the title in vicious fashion and then reigned through a series of excited explosive contests and then became past it and lost -
Exciting, yes, but of substance, not really. Miske was a very sick man. Darcy a non-entity. To call Wills' victim Firpo crude is an insult to the word "crude". Carpentier was a walkover and every one knew the score. Gibbons, Darcy, Brennan and Miske were all victims to Greb's fists, but where was Greb on Dempsey's dance card? Had he too much in their sparring? And where was that man Wills', the only other all time great active and prime during Dempsey's reign?

A barnstormer with a punch who became the puppet of conmen.
Seamus is online now  Top