View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boom Boom Mancini vs Livingston Bramble

For reasons I can't completely understand, Boom Boom's management steered him to matches with fellow pressure fighters -- Bramble, Bogner (cancelled two or three times), etc.

I think the Frias fight, and later the Chacon fight, gave them the idea that no one could stand toe-to-toe with Boom -- and when looking at those two fights, they should have realized that they were lesser (or in Chacon's case lighter) opposition than the sluggers they did want to fight.

Howard Davis and his team pursued a fight with Mancini to no end -- it would have been big money and high profile, but Mancini's people for some reason chose to go another direction. Too bad, because I think Mancini would have handled him and it would have been a very nice win on his resume.

The book, btw, is fantastic -- same author did books on Joe Namath and Pete Maravich. He's a world-class writer and researcher who took the initiative to track down Kim's family and go to Korea to get their perspective. I highly recommend it, one of the best sports books (much less boxing books) that I have had the pleasure to read.
Saintpat is offline  Top