View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #75
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655
Default Re: ****DECADES SURVEYS 1 - Please Participate! Best 10 Fights 2000-2009****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid***ile View Post

The first Gatti/Ward fight may have actually been the first fight I ever watched. I remember thinking the two of them would both die in the ring that night. Constant back and forth action and the ninth round was a doozy. It made me a fan for life. I was on my feet just roaring at the tv from maybe the fifth round on. Good chins and poor defense is one recipe for a great fight. It also helps to have a visual aid to measure the damage being done, and Gatti's head would cut or swell up like a beach ball if you even looked at him wrong. People love those bloody mask fights.

When I look back at the Gatti/Ward fight I can see why some people rate other more technical fights higher, and that is definitely an important factor. But it's not just about the technical level, or even the volume and pacing of a fight. There are also certain intangibles to consider like, are the fighters giving everything they have and going all out? Are they throwing with bad intentions? And then both fighters should also have a sort of leading man quality, like an actor, that makes them fun to watch. I've seen guys that were first class technically but didn't have that certain telegenic quality, or who's fights never had half the heat in them of a Gatti or Ward fight.
Great stuff!
Rumsfeld is offline  Top