Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #899
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Marciano just isn't proven against super heavyweight fighters. Had he fought and destroyed Valdes we might have a better idea as he was big with a solid jab.

Dempsey, Frazier, and Louis these guys did beat super heavyweights so I can understand those who favour them over Wlad but the same can't be said for Rocky. It's like comparing fighters from different weight classes and it's too much of a leap of faith.

I don't agree that Wlad is greater yet but I think history will remember him as the greater heavyweight. he'll probably stay champ until he's 40 racking up victories over ranked contenders.
I disagree with you about Valdes.

He had four fights with Moore, Johnson, and Satterfield, all smaller than Marciano, and went 0-4.

I just don't think Valdes was all that good and so a victory by Marciano over him would hardly prove anything in comparision to Wlad or Vitali.

Valdes was big, but not bigger really than Louis and not as good a fighter, even the Louis of 1951.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As for Wlad's historical rating, I currently have him 9th, and he could move up a few notches if he continues, as you say, to win. I also think he might well be able to hold the title into his forties.

But I don't know if these sort of contenders he is fighting recently will really look all that good historically. Thompson? Two shots at the title?

I don't know how history will judge, and history is always contentious, but I think he will have a tough time pushing into the top five regardless of his eventual longevity because of not beating the other top guys out there, Lewis and Vitali, and the bad defeats when young.

But we shall see--not me, but the younger folks who will live enough to read an historical judgement.
edward morbius is offline  Top