View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #63
Gesta
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 300
Default Re: duran v leonard greatness comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Duran didn't jump 2 divisions. he fought at 154 as early as 1978 before Hearns,Leonard and Benitez fought there. Duran never knocked out a great fighter and only beat one great in Leonard, who then outclassed him the last two times they fought. Ray beat 4 great fighters in his career, I think that proves he is greater. Duran had the longer career and fought greats, but didn't beat them and that is significant. I think Duran is very overrated as far as wins over greats. Pernell and Floyd's style would have probably beaten him rather easily, yet I think Duran is greater. Stylewise he could not deal with the fast guys who didn't let him fight his fight. The faster counterpunchers beat him easily.
Duran was a carrer LW, Ray was a carrer WW, Hagler was a carrer MW. Pretty simple really.

Duran also fought at 154 before Roy Jones Jr too.

Ray had too fight Duran when he was out of shape to get the win in his own division & Hearns had too find a JR division to be a champ in.

Duran KO'd Buchanan , DeJesus , etc...

Floyd had to retire at WW , cause Margorito , Cotto , Williams etc.. were coming good , I think that is safe to say that if Duran was around he would of 'retired' then too.
Gesta is offline  Top