McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey's vaunted run to the Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Put it this way.

Levinsky had been talked about as a possible heavyweight challenger for years. He made the transition to heavyweight earlier, and was seen as a player in that division earlier. A controvertial points loss would not necisarily catapult Geb above him.
There was absolutely nothing controversial about it. In fact, in looking for some controversy connected with it all you have been able to produce is a one-line second hand source that indicates that fewer people than thought Bradley beat Pacquiao thought Levinsky beat Greb.

Is it possible it was controversial? Yeah. But there is very, very little evidence to support that supposition. You have to wonder why, objectively, anyone would stress this second hand source ahead of primaries, or stress this second hand source in the face of numerically superior alternative secondary sources.

Quote:
Was this fight even at heavyweight (I have not been able to find out)?
Levinsky weighed 179 based upon what i have, but pre-fight the talk was of him making 165lbs. Hard to say definitively but does it really matter all that much? It was the second time Greb had beaten Levinsky, who, really, could insist that Greb was not a superior pugilist after that?

There is certainly no press on his being weight-drained or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I don't think Levinsky was abetter fighter, but I am saying that the issue might not have been as black and white as you think at the time.

It is not enough just to look at boxrec.
But is that not exactly what you have done?
McGrain is offline  Top