View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #67
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: duran v leonard greatness comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Duran winning the Lightweight Title in dominating fashion against a respected champion and then defending it 12 times, 11 by Knockout over a 6 year period carries alot of weight.

Leonard didnt accomplish that. He lost his title early in his reign and got it back and had the eye injury. He had the ability to do it but I cant give him credit for what he mightve done.

He did have some high profile wins. The Hearns win was about as good as it gets in quality. Leonard didnt give Hearns the rematch the way Duran gave him one until 8 years later.

We dont know what wouldve happened had Tommy gotten a crack at Leonard in `82 when it shouldve happened. Hearns may have had some adjustments in the rematch the way Leonard adjusted to Duran in New Orleans.

My point is the consistant domination even in his prime wasnt there from Ray Leonard. He had less than 40 fights in his entire career. I think Duran had that many 2 or 3 years in.
Ray was smart. He knew when he won not to give a rematch where the guy can maybe turn it around. He beat Duran and Hearns and Hagler and didn't grant a rematch until he though Duran and Hearns were easier to beat. With Hagler I remember talk of a rematch, but neither guy wanted it, and I doubt Leonard would have done it.
MAG1965 is offline  Top