View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a boxer; any questions about boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
Experienced something similar to this,when my opp didnt come to weigh ins at all and then he came into a looking like a ****ing hulk.,baring 10 kg on me.I was ****ing mad at my trainer because he didnt give a flying **** about it.
BROWN B. how much sparring did you do a week?
I saw kessler in one of interview saying that he doesnt do much sparring(once every 14 days)
I believe you should spar every session. Or nearly every session. I don't mean heavy sparring I mean conditioned sparring- drilled or working on specific things.

In the run up to a fight I would spar a lot, as a youngster I was only a super feather and I hated sparring. Everyone was bigger then me and I'd avoid sparring as often as possible but I didn't realise it was just hurting me. I wasn't testing myself and my self belief was too fragile.

In the run up to each of my five comeback fights I was sparring current British super middle champ kenny Anderson. He's a top fighter and has about two stone on me. He's also a banger 18-1 (13kos) so even though he wasn't trying to take my head off he would really make me dig deep.

I knew whatever I experienced in the ring wouldn't be as hard as that. I'd also spar others heavily I actually knocked out a few current pros in sparring but this heavy sparring can't be done regular or you'd be a zombie.

So too answer heavy sparring maybe once a week when your very fit, conditioned sparring as often as possible.
brown bomber is offline  Top