View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #32
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF View Post
That's a good title because my gut instinct if I had to put money on it is that Ward would probably have just too much for them all, but who would have the best chance is difficult to weigh up. Benn had a force of nature thing about him but I never considered him a complete fighter who could think his way through a fight and adapt. Against McClellan he came up against a similar character who went hell for leather at him. But against somebody like Eubank who was as strong, could punch but could also think his way through a fight he struggled badly and got taken out. However, Ward may have been too slick for Eubank but he doesn't punch hard enough to knock out either him or Benn.

So maybe a peak Benn would have the best shot. He might be able to make Ward work at a higher pace than the other guys and for longer, and if Ward has one weakness it is definitely stamina. So maybe it would be a question of whether a peak Benn would be able to take Ward's in and out pot shotting for 8 rounds or so and then finally get to him in the final rounds? Interesting question.

Collins was a tough nut but I don't seem him being able to make Ward fight at such a high rate and you can see Ward pot shotting him comfortably. Given Ward's core strength that allowed him to push Froch around until he started puffing, I don't think Watson would be strong enough against somebody just as slick.
That's a good post I think.
McGrain is offline  Top