but looking at them, some of them didnt look like they ever been to a gym

i always found this kind of odd

i know almost all didnt lift weights
but still boxing and body weight excersies alone
should give atleast an in shape look

http://www.phillyboxinghistory.com/m...conn_billy.htm

maybe it was the diet but still kind of odd
with the kind of work they put it
Most of the fighters then were just flat-out tough guys, 'n prided themselves on it. They'd as soon fight in the street as the ring...and did.

There was a John L. Sullivan I-can-drink-you-under-the-table sensibility. Most all the fighters (but for Tunney) 'n trainers were heavy drinkers 'n smokers. They all smoked Camels and stogies working out in the gym.

It wasn't uncommon to see world-class fighters smoking between rounds of sparring.

The smoke was so thick, you couldn't see from one side of the gym to the other.

They had no concept of condition. They relished being tough mugs. Health considerations was sissy stuff. They just wanted to knock someone's block off; the sooner the better, so they could get back to pub crawling 'n chasing tail.

Mickey Walker, Fritzie Zivic 'n Lew Jenkins ( who looked like a concentration camp survivor), prime examples.

Last guy I can remember with that sensibility was a scarecrow thin Roberto Duran when he first fought on the undercard at the new Madison Square Garden. Thought his corner would need raw meat 'n a whip 'n chain to control him.

Last edited by john garfield; 01-22-2013 at 04:59 PM.
john garfield is offline  Top