Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Dempsey vs larry Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Stylistically this certainly favours Dempsey. I expect Dempsey to rattle him with his superior foot speed and make Larry cautious wit ph his combination punching and fire power. When Larry became cautious, not only did he throw the jab less frequently, the amount of straight rights he threw also deteriorated. I don't think Holmes could keep up with the superior work rate and after starting off relatively well, Larry would have all his momentum taken from him in the second half of the fight and stopped in the championship rounds.
I'm not sure that I agree with Larry throwing less when cautious. He was very cautious against Shavers in their first fight and had his jab pumping as much as ever.

The only thing I could see Dempsey doing to get to Larry is provoking a brawl. Holmes's style is labled as a boxer, maybe a boxer-puncher, but he was a slugger at heart. When someone got to him, he'd become a very dangerous fighter, as Mike Weaver and Tim Witherspoon found out. Holmes prefered to slug his way out of being cornered or when on the ropes, and that's really the only place I see Dempsey having any sort of success against Larry.
Bill1234 is offline  Top