View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Should there be manditory contenders in MMA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
If you make yourself into the guy that fans want to see in a title fight, you'll get your shot.
Quote:
Making money is the name of the game. It's BS to have a champion that can't sell tickets and nobody gets excited to see him fight.
Quote:

Personally, I have no problem with the lack of a mandatory contender. As far as I'm concerned, if you want a shot at the title - kick the door down. Fight harder. Generate more excitement and interest. Turn yourself into the guy that the fans want to see have a crack at the champion. Or turn yourself into the guy that the fans want to see get destroyed by the champion. It's a business and I have no issue with popular, entertaining fighters getting precedence over lesser-known, less dynamic fighters.

Not sure I agree with that, it wouldn't be a positive situation for the future of the sport if only the exciting types vied for the top honours. As we all know more often than not exciting fighters are the brawling types where quality technique and style fly out the window in favour of crowd pleasing macho bravado. Where would the technical advancement of the sport go, imagine all those aspiring grass roots fighters spending less time on technique and over doing it on conditioning, where would that leave the future of MMA? Not to mention the gradual decline in any education of casuals for a long term developing fan base....

Look at the the current P4P Kings in MMAs closest cousins, both boxing and Muay Thai. Boxing's P4P king Money May Jr and Muay Thai's P4P king and possibly GOAT Seanchai Sor Kingstar are both pretty boring to watch but technical masters of their trade, both leagues ahead of the pack. They don't have trouble selling tickets and that's because they are the very best at what they do and the reason they are the best is they are technical wizards who don't take unnessacary chances in their quests to be the best.
boranbkk is offline  Top