Old 01-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #290
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey's vaunted run to the Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
you could be right but based on the cursory reading I've done he was inactive because until Dempsey beat Fulton there wasn't perceived to be a standout champion.

He was considered too bid and durable from what I can gather.

is there any suggestion at the time he was ducking wills or Fulton?
Langford, Fulton and Wills were stand outs for sure. Wills went to Willard-Johnson to challenge the winner but was not allowed to do so.

Fulton-Willard was talked about allot, just type in 'Fulton Willard' into google newspaper archives between 1917-1918 (and before 1917 for that matter) to read some of that. Many consider Fulton number 1 contender from 1917 when he beat Langford, although there's a racial element to that given Wills had already beat Langford numerous times

I'm not sure Willard ducked Fulton, as I know he talked about them fighting and donating the proceedes to charity, but he didn't fight him either and he didn't fight anyone of note either. So I don't think he can be called a dominant champion on that basis, especially given his lacklustre pre-title form

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
Yes, on some of the reading I've done, I haven't noticed some abundance of writings on how ****py a champion he was. I'm sure there were negative press, but you're saying that was the norm, which is where I disagreement is. So, if you want to produce the overall consensus on him being viewed as a **** champion.. I would change my mind.
I never said he was '****py', I said he wasn't a dominant champion because he didn't fight anyone of note as champion and was semi-retired, I also noted he was also old when Dempsey fought him. I can tell you haven't read the papers of the time to form your opinion
PowerPuncher is offline  Top