Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #123
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey vs James Toney @ 190 Catchweight

Powerpuncher, are you ****in serious?

Dempsey didn't throw jabs?

You got to be ****in kidding me. His entire offense was predicated on lead straight lefts and lead right hands before he got inside and threw hooks and uppercuts.

And I say straight lefts, because his jab was more like a right hand, but it was quick, effective, and there was no preliminary movement.

Dempsey is easily just as fast if not faster than Toney. Toney is a great fighter, but at 190, Dempsey beats him down.

Toney doesn't have the footspeed to beat Dempsey and he's not going to beat him in the pocket.

It won't be a blow out, but Dempsey is fast, can hurt you with every punch, smart, and he has a good chin.

I don't see Toney beating Dempsey.

I think you're highly underrating Dempsey, especially in his ability to get to the target. Stationary guys are the easiest targets for Dempsey because Dempsey used his foot speed to set up his straight lefts that he consistantly landed from a distance.

He was like Pacquiao in this regard.

In fact, Tunney used a similar style to Marquez to beat him. He stayed on his toes, pivoted often, kept on his back foot, and used his footwork to prevent Dempsey from getting an opportunity to get set.

IT was no easy task though because, as I previously mentioned, it didn't take much for Dempsey to throw punches. There wasn't much prelimnary movement involved and he didn't have to get set like other punchers because he would lunge in like Pacquaio.
ROACH is offline  Top