View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #164
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
There are a couple other orgs. But they do not have PPV. PPV, live gate and merchandise is all higher in the UFC. Even the contenders fighting for $20,000 or $50,000 dream of getting PPV points.

They are all strung along with the idea of WINNING the title, then getting those points.

But they still have to be draws to get the points, therefore, they are paying their own salaries, period.

Any manager who pushes back can be blackballed, as has happened a few times to different managers.

Think about it-- its a monopoly.

When Gary Shaw got in the game, with MMA promotion Elite XC, it was perceived as a threat (because it had Showtime/CBS's backing). But usually the competition dies quickly due to incompetence or stupidity, take your pick.
Both boxing and MMA are talent driven I would think that if you have the guy then they have to come to you. If you have a young strong up and coming Chuck Lidell, a powerful puncher who is charismatic why cant you build him up by matching him correctly, like they do in boxing? Excuse the questions I have no knowledge of MMA and I am trying to learn. When they match guys in MMA is any thought put into it? Or are they just thrown in like a survival of the fittest.

On the PPV it's the same in boxing, I dont know how specific it's in MMA in boxing it's X dollars on PPV buys over a certain amount.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top