View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tunney V Sharkey, Willard, Brennan,Miske, Firpo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
It has not been explicitley stated that we are matching Tunney against the Miske that fought Dempsey for the title.
That's true, Miske might have more chance back in the day. I wouldbn't bet on it though.

Quote:
Loughran was much further removed from his prime than Tunney was, and that is why Tunney knew better than to fight him again.
I personally don't think that Loughran is better than Gibbons and he obviously wasn't better than Greb, so i don't think this holds much water. I don't think a draw over 8 rounds is indicative of Tunney's "form" versus boxers. I think that his KO wins over Gibbons and Carpantier and decision wins versus Levinsky and Smith (neither of which were that close) are far more telling.

Quote:
That would be a very misguided choice.

A punchers chance against a fighter like Tunney, is a bit like a snowballs chance in hell. Another technical chess player generaly has a chnce with the right plan.
Huge punchers KO superby gifted technicians all the time and it was more common in this era than in later eras. I don't think that Firpo would beat Tunney - at all - but I think it is more likely that he would KO Tunney than that Miske would out-box Tunney.

He was only in the neighbourhood of being out-boxed once - both Dempsey and Greb came close to stopping him.

Quote:
Surely to god he would have more chance than Firpo?
Yeah, i would make Sharkey my first choice and Firpo my second. Hyper-aggressive tough punchers are difficult for top pro's because they don't obey the rules. I doubt very many people would be picking Baer to dismantle Schmeling were it not for the fact that it actually happened, but as soon as you have a puncher that aggressive in the ring, shit can happen.
McGrain is offline  Top