View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #59
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Did you experience or hear/know of incidences of PTSD-like symptoms? It's a topic I've always been interested in. Boxing is a tough sport. Some take bumps in the road and keep going, it's just a job to many and an exciting opportunity for others, but if you're in a bad situation, I imagine it can be extremely stressful and demoralizing just based on my own experiences. Whether you're stuck in a bad gym dynamic and don't realize it, have to make tough decisions in the ring and with fights, or both, etc. It's kind of odd to compare Boxing to war, but it really isn't that big of a stretch IMO. Bradley had never lost leading up to the Pacquiao fight, and he mentioned suicide crossing his mind because of the immense pressure to perform. Hatton contemplated suicide and was severely depressed after getting knocked out. Not sure if it's more evident at the elite level or I'm making assumptions or making leaps in logic, but I have a feeling the brutally physical nature of boxing makes the highs and lows of sports that much more intense. I'd appreciate if you could shed some light on my curiosities.
Wow now your going deep- life is an emotional rollar coaster as it is but yes me in my very minor role in the sport experienced all the joys and all the lows too. Its incredibly demanding psychologically - at least it was for me.

The difference between boxing and almost any other sport is that if you lose a game of football- its just a game, but in boxing its your pride- your very manhood. I have a tattoo of a cross on my arm with the word pride in the middle - and thats whats boxing is - a public crucifixtion of someones pride. Or at least it can be. It can also be cause for great celebration and euphoria. its incredibly stressful and knowing that death can be just one punch away is something that you have to come to terms with.

Thats why sometimes the forums can be difficult to read, but ignorant people are everywhere and the only opinions I care about are those that know what its like to walk in a fighters shoes. Most are ignorant to it- or have an inflated, deluded expectation of their own abilities.

As far as medical issues post boxing- I have problems with short term memory. I was a sponge as a kid- I would remember everything, i'm not sure if its the boxing - or just getting a bit older. Also occasionally I have migraines and also I do very, very rarely have almost phantom impacts- their really weird and might be a figmant of my imagination. Only happened about 3-4 times in my life.
brown bomber is offline  Top