Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #166
LACMEXAME
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
If you're saying Julio's greater, I agree. There's a lot more that goes into it than a particular rating in a particular division at a particular time. For some of them, they hold real weight. Some not. He's managed to consistently fight remarkably top rated guys for the duration but thats where the debate comes in... Thats why this thread thrived.
My comment really had nothing to do with JCC. I've just studied Mayweather's resume for a while and always came to that conclusion. I have a ton of respect for him as a boxer. Fantastic skill. I'm just not too impressed with his resume, comparing it to other greats. I agree that some of the fighters he fought carry weight. I always felt that his best run was when he was at the lower weight classes. Corrales and Castillo were very credible, GREAT wins (even though I had Castillo winning the first). The problem I have is that most of the guys he faced, were never that good or great. Many were rated high at that time, but in terms of SKILL, I don't think any of his opponents were that good. When he faced some of the "Hall Of Fame" caliber boxers (DLH, Mosley, Cotto, Marquez), they were either past prime or at a disadvantage (Marquez). Hatton, Baldomir were always overrated IMO. I'm not blaming all this on May. Maybe he was a bit unlucky that he wasn't able to face some guys in their prime. He also tends to cherry pick. I just feel that Mayweather hasn't been able to show how great he is because of this. Having an undefeated record is always impressive, which is why I consider him to be an all-time great but when people speak of him as the GOAT, I think it's a joke. His resume doesn't reflect that.
LACMEXAME is offline  Top
Sponsored Links