Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #168
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACMEXAME View Post
My comment really had nothing to do with JCC. I've just studied Mayweather's resume for a while and always came to that conclusion. I have a ton of respect for him as a boxer. Fantastic skill. I'm just not too impressed with his resume, comparing it to other greats. I agree that some of the fighters he fought carry weight. I always felt that his best run was when he was at the lower weight classes. Corrales and Castillo were very credible, GREAT wins (even though I had Castillo winning the first). The problem I have is that most of the guys he faced, were never that good or great. Many were rated high at that time, but in terms of SKILL, I don't think any of his opponents were that good. When he faced some of the "Hall Of Fame" caliber boxers (DLH, Mosley, Cotto, Marquez), they were either past prime or at a disadvantage (Marquez). Hatton, Baldomir were always overrated IMO. I'm not blaming all this on May. Maybe he was a bit unlucky that he wasn't able to face some guys in their prime. He also tends to cherry pick. I just feel that Mayweather hasn't been able to show how great he is because of this. Having an undefeated record is always impressive, which is why I consider him to be an all-time great but when people speak of him as the GOAT, I think it's a joke. His resume doesn't reflect that.
I know.

Quality assessment, though.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top