View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #40
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Sailor Tom v Irish Jerry?

OK, I'm back in the land o' the healthy, so now I can see straight enough to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I gave you three examples of weights for McCoy taken from fights all within the same year as the Sharkey fight all have McCoy within the middleweight limit. I asked you if these were incorrect as you implied the one for the Sharkey fight may have been ,you made no comment ,or none of any substance.
I thought you were quoting weights for Choynski and the rest for when they fought Sharkey, not weights for McCoy himself. My mistake.

Quote:
I asked you which heayweights, apart from O Donnell, McCoy kod, you didnt reply. Just repeated that he dropped ,and kod heavyweights.
WELL PLEASE NAME THEM .
Steve O'Donnell
Peter Maher (though he would be considered a LH today)
Joe Goddard (hurt, floored and on the verge of a KO when he got himself DQ'd for grabbing McCoy about the waist)

This was all evidence enough that this man possessed the power to stop much larger men.

Quote:
You talk about the Sharkey fight as though the Sailor had his arms tied whilst McCoy was teeing off on him.
Just about, yeah. Tommy Ryan was in Sharkey's corner for this fight and got the ****amamie idea that the sailor should try and get tricky with McCoy by boxing him. As a result McCoy bashed him at will for the initial rounds without Sharks landing anything of consequence. It's all in the fight report. Sharkey tossed the boxing to the wind after and from there on took everything McCoy had.

Nobody questioned Tom's ability to take it after this bout. Only here on ESB, over 100 years later, do people question it, mostly due to their lack of historical perspective on Sharkey, McCoy and their careers.

Quote:
I think Quarry was a better boxer than Sharkey,
Without a doubt.

Quote:
hit as hard
You're pushing it here. Tom was considered one of the premiere powerpunchers of his generation. I've never heard Quarry get awarded with such plaudits. Sharkey awed sportswriters with his workouts, his heavy bag punching was reportedly jaw dropping stuff. No, Sharkey has the advantage in this dept.

Quote:
and had a chin as good ,
Maybe. He never had to take as much punishment as Sharkey as Quarry was harder to hit and didn't fight as many rounds. What does Quarry have to compare alongside Sharkey having to take it from Jeffries for 45 rounds?

Quote:
Nobody questioned Jones, chin till he was kod.
Sure they did. Heck, I myself always wondered if Jones could take it. Sharkey's chin, on the other hand, was never a question for anyone. It was a certainty. He was considered one of the most rugged, durable fighters in the game.

Quote:
Below a recount of the Sharkey/ Fitz fights from someone who was there , TWO ONE PUNCH KOS

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...zsimmons&hl=en
I think we can agree that it's best to go to a firsthand source from the following day rather than a 30 years after the fact recollection. AS you can see, Fitz bashed Sharkey with huge punches for round after round. Yet Tom kept coming after him before finally succumbing. It wasn't just like some crushing single shot from nowhere ala Weaver-Tate:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...age=19&index=5

And why even bother bringing up the second fight, when Tom was considered shot?? It proves nothing. And anyway, once again it was a short but furious punch-up, Fitz needing a series of hard shots to put Sharkey away:

Fitzsimmons regrouped between rounds, but was still going up against a charging foe in Sharkey who wouldn't let up. But unfortunately for the Sailor (Sharkey), Fitzsimmons met his rush this time with his own barrage of punches which had Sharkey in a heap of trouble. Sharkey responded to this sudden adversity with a series of wild swings, one of them countered with a left hook which deposited Sharkey on the canvas for the first time in the fight. Sharkey arose but Fitzsimmons pressed his advantage once again and succeeded in landing the finisher with a right sent perfectly to the temple, putting the Sailor out for good. --Brooklyn Daily Eagle

Again, ESB is the only place where I've ever found anyone expressing doubts as to Sharkey's durability. Nobody back then did. I ask you again, why do you suppose that is?

Last edited by Surf-Bat; 01-25-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top