Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Why were many old time boxers so scrawny looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Wise words.

I laugh when 'modern training' zealots will say "6 mile runs will do nothing for your stamina, you have to do intervals, and 400m and 800m repetitions "

I always say there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Or, as you say, do a bit of both and your ass is covered.

Also, the proof is in the pudding.
No one can tell me Battling Nelson et al. weren't as fit for purpose and as thoroughly conditioned as their modern counterparts, slugging each other in 45 round fights outdoors under the sun. Exhibit A, case closed.
I think that distance running is very good for building up your bodies over all conditioning, especially when one begins training, and some distance runs should still be done throughout the career.

having said that, i do think constant distance running can in fact start to take more of a toll on the body than it should...

having said all that....speed work isn't a new invention. I remember reading a article in some body building mag years ago by Lee Haney about how his strength and conditioning work with Holyfield, in round about ways he talked about how the old times didn't know **** with only doing long runs, and how he has Holy do very slow jogs for a few hundred yards, than sprint for a hundred or so years. Interval training...he threw in some scientific stuff (maybe Lee had help with the article).

Than, a few years ago, I saw this
Quote:
OOD EXERCISES FOR CONDITIONING THE BODY ARE ROADWORK, ROPE-SKIPPING, AND CALISTHENICS. ROADWORK means running on the road. Running strengthens the legs and develops stamina. It also takes off weight if you wear warm, heavy garments while running. Regardless of other apparel, you must wear shoes that have sturdy soles and tops that come up over your ankles. Also, you should wear heavy socks to prevent your feet from becoming blistered.
If you are soft and poorly conditioned when you begin training, you should harden yourself by hiking over rough ground for at least two weeks before attempting any running. When you do begin to run, take it easy at first. Limit yourself to dog-trot jogs of about a half-mile each morning for seven days. Then, gradually increase the distance until you are jogging about two miles.
After you've become accustomed to roadwork and your feet have hardened, mix up your runs by sprinting for 100 yards, then jogging, then shadow-boxing for a few seconds, then jogging, then sprinting, etc. Nearly all professional fighters do their roadwork early in the morning. Do yours whenever you get the chance. Naturally, you'll take a shower when you come in from your spin. Professionals do from three to ten miles on the road.
Championship Fighting/Jack Dempsey
Johnstown is offline  Top