Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #120
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Why were many old time boxers so scrawny looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Because they LIVED boxing, and like I said would only do what was necessary for a boxer. Why would a golfer need to improve his 100 meter sprint when it doesn't equate to anything useful in his field. Majority of boxers back then also had a 9-5 there was no time for something like lifting weights when it wouldn't help them in any way.

I don't understand how running would make one weaker, particularly when conditioning is of the up most importance in boxing especially back then when 15 rounders were a common thing.

Also I've never heard of any boxer having ruined his career due to running, saying the old timers were dumb for running because they could ruin their career due to knee and ankle injuries is like saying the old timers were stupid for hitting a heavy bag because it damages your hands, wrist and elbow joints.

PS. You seemed to have a go at another poster on here because you claimed he had never been to a boxing gym yet if you actually had been you'd know any boxing coach would tell you that running is very important while lifting weights is not.

dude did you actually say weight lifting does not equate to anything useful in boxing, please tell me your smarter then that

i know a person who ruined his career by running, he had 135 amatuer fights
and had to retire because massive knee problems, caused by running

and your line about me telling that to another poster,
yes i did actually,

and i have boxed for about 10 years and have met many people coaches
and while some were knowledgeable about fitness
others were some of the most ignorant and closed minded people i ever seen
and tried to sound like experts
while giving statements like "running makes you muscular not weights" lol

i have done other combat sports like bjj,muay thai and wrestling
and while some do weights there and some dont
this kind of know it all ignorance about fitness-weight training