View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #3076
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

I've been watching a lot of Sonny Liston recently. Specifically his fights with Whitehurst (II), Patterson (I & II), Bailey, Bethea, Clark, and Harris. It's easy to see why the man was thought to be unstoppable by the time he was fighting Cassius Clay, but he had shown certain weaknesses too his game also I think. Whitehurst performed admirably, hurting the future champion during the early goings, and throughout most of Liston's early, pre-title fights he would throw his right hand whilst off-balance. I assume Sonny was left handed with his jab and left hook being his main weapons, but although he could hurt with his right, he'd be off balance a lot of the time when throwing it. Certainly not as two-fisted as Clay or other Heavyweight greats that have came and went.

By the same token, I've also been watching Clay's earlier years too. Specifically his fights with Billy Daniels and and Sonny Banks. Banks dropped Clay with a beautiful left hook (I think) and Daniels also found the mark a few times during their bout. Clay stopped both men though, and despite being hit with a few shots he wouldn't have been happy about, his tremendous offense was on display on both occasions. A ridiculously smooth operator even as a 10 fight professional. Both Banks and Daniel were undefeated when Clay fought them, so he wasn't being given an easy start in the pro ranks.

I'm just about to watch Liston fight Westphal and Clay fight Miteff & Blin.

Edit: I also have Liston-Martin, one of Liston's later fights. I've seen the knockout. Brutal. Martin really flattened Liston.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links