Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #141
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551
Default Re: Why were many old time boxers so scrawny looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
I always figured it would be very difficult to land on older Foreman clean. Nice to hear confirmation of that, though. That awkward arms out defence just seemed to stymie a lot of shots, or had them glancing off the top of his big chrome dome. Morrison was having a hell of a time landing clean on George. His lefts were just getting sapped before they landed, and George's constant forward pressure was forcing Tommy on the backfoot and unable to get full torque on them as well. Looked like a nightmare to fight if you were a smaller fighter.

I wonder how it would work against a much taller fighter though. I can imagine someone like Vitali being able to land a lot more solidly on George than a little tank like Tua or Tyson ever could due to the angle at which he'd be punching.
The cross armed defence used by Foreman (Also Archie Moore) is extremely efficient in stopping hooks and straights but it is a little bit on the weak side against uppercuts.
But Foreman was such a strong man those uppercuts mostly didn't bother him in any significant way.
And some fighters don't throw uppercuts anyway
dyna is offline  Top