View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Is it wrong that Hatton bloated up in between fights? Yeah, it is, but even though that lifestyle was unhealthy, he'd have been an inferior fighter if he had never allowed that to happen. That was his lifestyle and something he loved doing, which is where all his enthusiasm and effort came from. Force him to stay in good condition all year round, keep him away from pubs and stuff, and he wouldn't have mentally been the same person, so he wouldn't physically have been the same fighter. You've got to enjoy yourself to be successful in anything you do. Training all year might work for someone like Hopkins but I don't think it's how everyone should be.
I actually agree with this somewhat, but he took it too far and just let himself go totally. Williams was very successful but this was despite his training methods rather than because of them IMO.

Quote:
Just on Khan. The tactics he used in his training camps are the same that Pacquiao, the best fighter in the modern era, has also used. It's something devised by Ariza, who is a top conditioning coach in world sport, never mind just boxing. His opinion on conditioning is worth far, far more than Hunter's is.
I'm talking about the technical stuff as opposed to the strength and conditioning drills that Ariza made him do. The training camp for the Garcia fight seemed like a joke, and to be fair to Khan, it was not totally down to him either. I found it strange that a professional fighter at world level would use the wrong tactics in sparring because he thought boxing was "boring". Maybe that little performance was for the cameras, I don't know.

As for the conditioning drills, Hunter's view is that everything you do in training has to be related to boxing. Not saying he's right or wrong, but it's something worth thinking about. If you can get get the same physical benefits by doing something boxing related, and at the same time improve technically...
ero-sennin is offline  Top